San Diego Division Summer Meet
Saturday, August 14, 2021, 09:00am - 03:00pm
San Diego Division, National Model Railroad Association (San Diego, California, USA)
August 14, 2021, Saturday, 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (PDT) - In-Person Summer Meet, Member's Only Event.
- In-Person Meet for NMRA Division Members only. This will be our first in-person meet since the Covid pandemic of 2020. Using the honor system, we are counting on everyone being vaccinated by this Meet. Masks are optional.
- Swap Meet - 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.: The first event of the Meet will be our Summer Swap Meet. We encourage people to bring anything related to the model train hobby or the real railroad to sell. Please remember to bring your own card table to put your items on. Remember to bring money to buy items you are interested in at the Swap Meet.
- A BBQ Lunch - 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon: The BBQ lunch with sides and drinks will be provided after the Swap Meet. All members are asked to bring a dessert. The lunch will be held outdoors.
- 12:00 noon to 3 p.m.: Show & Tell, Clinics and the Layout Tour.
- Show & Tell: We would like volunteers to present any type of modeling, tool, or project you have made or are working on, for a 3-5 minute presentation.
- If you need ideas on what you can share, here are just a few examples: You can share a new piece of rolling stock you've purchased and show its features, show a building you've worked on, talk about how you make your scenery, discuss track, ballast, book(s), electronics, lighting, DCC/Sound, DeadRail, discuss a website or a video, discuss rail fanning and things of this nature.
- Show & Tell has an almost limitless number of subjects that you can talk about.
- Clinic: Two clinics will be presented.
- Layout Tour: Don Fowler will be presenting his Southern Pacific’s Mojave Division N scale 20’ x 22’ double-decker layout which depicts segments between Southern Pacific's Intermodal Container Transfer Facility in Los Angeles (California, USA) to Bakersfield (California, USA), from 1975–1995.
- The layout includes the Tehachapi Loop (using artistic license) and Southern Pacific's West Colton’s Classification Yard, complete with diesel service facility and arrival & departure yard.
- There is 388 feet of mainline (just over 30 scale miles) with four railroad yards, two bridges, nine tunnels, twelve rail served industries, has several residential areas and working modern windmills. The layout includes working signals and crossing gates, over 100 turnouts and the Tehachapi Loop.
- There is also night time capability with lighted buildings providing a very nice ambiance during operations or when showing the layout to visitors.
- The layout uses DCC & Sound with a Digitrax DCC wireless system, has a custom-made N scale work bench and was started in 2015.
- The layout was made specifically for operations. It was also designed so no one has to duck under the layout during an operations session.
For the San Diego Division's Events/Meets web page, please see: www.sandiegodivision.org
Location San Diego, California, USA