The PSR Online Forums are now active!

To become a member of this forum, you must:
1. Be a member of the NMRA - all members are welcome, but some forums at the Division level are restricted to those Division members.
2. Register using the Registration Process. During that process provide the following information: a) NMRA Region you belong to, b) if you are a member of the PSR, you must enter your Division so that you can access restricted areas of your Division forums, c) you MUST use the email address that is on file with the NMRA in your membership record, d) you must maintain your NMRA membership in a current status.
3. Your application will be confirmed against the current NMRA membership rosters. Assuming you meet the criteria, you will be granted access to use both public and restricted forums.

Webmaster - Pacific Southwest Region, NMRA

February 2017 Report

PSR President Report to the Members
Carl Heimberger, President
psrdispatch
LOCATION (Required): Southwest US
Name (Required): Dispatch Editor
Division (Required): PSR board position

February 2017 Report

Postby psrdispatch » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:18 am

Happy New Year!  I hope that you had a great holiday season and that Santa brought you some nice train goodies.   We’re looking forward to a great year of model railroading and some excellent NMRA activities to promote our fellowship and enhance our modeling skills. 
Thanks to your vote of confidence, I was elected Region President and took office in September of 2016 at the conclusion of the Annual Membership Meeting at our annual Region Convention.  I’d like introduce you to the 2017 PSR Board;
President                            Don Fowler, MMR #518
Vice President                     Ben Sevier
Secretary                            Dave Irick, MMR #538
Treasurer                           Tom Draper, HLM, DSA
AZ Director                         Don Stewart
Cajon Director                     Per Harwe
LA Director                         Pat Raymer
SD Director                        Pete Steinmetz
President Emeritus             Carl Heimberger
Membership                       Tom Draper, HLM, DSA
Nominations                       Tom Draper, HLM, DSA
Railettes                             Kim Fowler
Historian                             Byron Densford
Achievement Program         Don Stewart
Contests                             James Keena
Communications                  Ben Sevier
Chief Hobo                         Ed Hall

Our Board is committed to ensuring that the PSR thrives and continues to provide quality services for our membership.  The Board meets annually at the Region Convention and mid-year at Cajon Division’s Temecula Meet.  Between those times, we handle business via internet and telephone.  The Board and our Region membership is governed by a set of By-Laws and Manual of Operations.  If you would like to become more involved, we are always looking for volunteers to serve on committees and other projects.  Please contact your Division Director or any of us on the Board for that matter to discuss opportunities.
All of the PSR Divisions host clinics, contests, layout tours, swap meets, auctions and other railroad type social events throughout the year.  Our newsletters and elections are now provided via internet, which has reduced costs, expanded timely outreach and received a much improved response.  Our Achievement Program continues to thrive and we have added several Master Model Railroaders in the past few years.  Our annual convention continues to be popular and includes all of the activities normally included in those venues.  Hosting responsibilities rotate between Divisions every four years.
Despite our many activities and inspired efforts, the PSR membership continues to slowly shrink with our number as of August 31, 2016 at 1,120.  This situation is not unique to the PSR and is occurring throughout the NMRA and other organizations as well.  Declining membership translates to fewer companies producing fewer products for our use.  Clubs and other model railroad organizations will also be affected and unable to sustain their existence.  So you can see, it is in our best interest to grow our membership and inspire interest and involvement in our great hobby.  If every existing member brought one new member on board this year, we would double our membership.  It starts with you.
Among other business items, I plan to introduce a new recruitment program to the Board at our Mid-Year Meeting.  If accepted and implemented, I am very optimistic about growing our membership this year.  Stay tuned for more details.
I have promised myself that I would get out more and visit our various Division activities.  I visited Arizona Division’s Tucson Meet in November and had a great time.  I am also planning to attend LA Division’s Member Appreciation Dinner in February.  Vice President Ben Sevier and I plan to attend PCR’s Annual Convention in April in Bakersfield, CA to scout out some new clinic talent and promote our upcoming PSR Convention.  Have you signed up yet?  I’m also looking forward to Cajon Division’s Temecula Meet in April.  If you have an upcoming event that you’d like me to attend, let me know and I’ll do my best to be there.
I hope to see you at some of these activities this year.  They are a lot of fun and will help enhance your enjoyment and skill in our great hobby.  If we haven’t yet met, please introduce yourself and tell me what you’d like to see from our Board this year.  I’m counting on your support and participation so that this year will be a great one for the Pacific Southwest Region.
Happy Modeling and we’ll see you soon,
Don